This page is a work in progress and will be updated frequently.
Can I import my contacts list from a previous (non-TTE) convention?
The only time that contacts from a previous convention (that wasn't managed through TTE) can be imported into TTE would be if you are giving all of these contacts free badges to your convention. (If this is something you wish to proceed with, please contact Support.)
Can I make a convention for adult content or a convention that will display adult content?
We generally do not censor convention content, so as long as there's no nudity or graphic language on your convention's page or on pages you link to, and your convention does not involve anything illegal. Your convention cannot display adult content per our Code of Conduct.
Can I have an convention on TTE for advertising purposes only?
Yes. Create your convention as normal, but then instead of opening registration, disable it.
Why wouldn't I require a badge for event submissions?
There are a few reasons why most conventions don't require a badge for event submissions:
- Many GMs/hosts don't commit to going to a convention until the games they want to host are approved; therefore, making them buy a badge before they have their events approved means they won't submit events.
- Most people don't want to commit funds to a convention (and many can't afford to) until a month or two before the convention. However, a convention needs people to submit events much earlier than that.
- Many conventions give GMs a free badge if they host X number of hours of games, so making the GMs pay up front confuses this proposition.
Can I have a custom domain for my convention?
Our goal is to provide 100% free hosting to our conventions forever. Due to the ongoing expenses associated with assigning a custom domain to a site, we cannot offer custom domains. Here's why:
- Due to the nature of Tabletop.Events hosting financial transactions, we must keep our site secure at all times. This means that any domain name attached to our site must have a corresponding SSL certificate. SSL certificates run between $50 and $300 per year depending upon the type. It wouldn't be possible for us to provide permanent free hosting if we had to pay for that SSL certificate.
- For each SSL certificate you host you must have a unique IP address. This presents 2 problems. The first is that the world is running out of IP addresses. And since IP addresses have become rare, we would get charged for each IP address we wanted to assign to our servers. Therefore, we again wouldn't be able to provide permanent free hosting forever.
- For both the IP address and the SSL certificate, there would be system administrator time to set them up and maintain them. That would cost us money and therefore we wouldn't be able to provide permanent free hosting forever. We could automate much of this work, but then that would require that our customer have some technical knowledge that we do not wish to require they have.
Instead of assigning your custom domain directly to our site we recommend using domain redirects or URL forwarding. Almost all of the DNS providers support these. Here's a list of the articles for the major DNS providers on how to do it with their service:
Who can initiate refunds and when can those be completed?
There are three levels of users who can refund / revoke badges.
- Attendees can only initiate refunds before the Refund Deadline.
- Convention organizers who have their rights assigned through Convention Tools > Convention Setup > Privileges can initiate refunds through the end of the convention.
- Convention organizers who are Directors or Leaders of the group, can initiate refunds whenever necessary.
I'm having trouble formatting the Expires field on the Discount Import.
If you are using Excel to create your .CSV file for the discount import, you will need to place an apostrophe (') at the front of the Expires field. This makes the field a text field and will keep the formatting required to enter YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.
I'm having trouble scanning items.
If you're having trouble with scanning items (either badges or games in the library), the best place to start is by checking your scanner.
- First, open up Notepad or some other text application
- Point your scanner at something like a cereal box, and see what text gets input into the text application
- If it gives you the numbers from the box, then we know it works for 1D
- Next, point your scanner it at one of our badges (or a box that was shipped to you with a 2D barcode), and see if that outputs anything into the text app
- If no, then your scanner is not 2D
- If yes, then there might be a problem with integrating it into the website